Thursday, March 31, 2016

Nimrod

From the Hawks Schoolhouse, I headed back over to the small but amusingly named town of Nimrod. On the edge of town, tucked under some tall trees, is an old church (or school?). I haven't been able to find anything online about its history or when it was built. I'm assuming that its a church because it sits right next to a cemetery.

IMG_4935-3

The old building has recently been painted and cleaned up, and it looks really good. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to get rid of the old paint that had been peeling and chipping off. It's nice and reassuring to see that people are maintaining and preserving historic old buildings like this.

IMG_4976-2

I had wanted to get a star trail picture here, but it was not an ideal night for star viewing. There was a full moon, which was so bright that it obscured many of the stars. But I went ahead and tried, mostly because I didn't want to wait much longer. The old building is flanked by two large trees, and I wanted to get a shot before the trees got their new leaves. Plus I wasn't sure when I'd be able to drive back out there, so I set up the camera even if things weren't perfect.

The camera was set to continuously take 30 second exposures, which is enough to capture some movement in the stars (after two hours, it took about 220 shots). But when I got home, I looked through the shots and saw that some smoke from a nearby fire had sneakily made its way into many of the pictures. The smoke messed up about half of the shots, so this is the star trails made from the pictures that were taken before the smoke appeared.

StarStaX_IMG_5026-IMG_5159_gap_filling

I took one last picture of the full moon shining high above the old building, and then packed up the car and made the drive back to Little Rock.

IMG_5249-3edit

No comments: